The Ultimate Battery Reconditioning at Home Guide
When it comes to battery reconditioning, one of the first thoughts that would pop up in your mind is where you would be able to find a specialist or a mechanic. Even if you do manage to find one with your good luck, determining the appropriate price is also something which would need to be taken in to account. This is because while you would definitely want your car batteries to be restored to its former glory, you would definitely not want to break the bank in doing so.
On the other hand, another thought might be going through your hand at the same moment. What would happen if you could recondition your car batteries right at the comfort of your home? Sounds pretty absurd, right?
Well, the good news is that it would definitely be possible to get your car batteries reconditioned in your home. In doing so, you would definitely be able to enjoy the freedom and flexibility of getting things done at your pace. In addition, you would also not have to worry about spending an exorbitant amount of money behind it. Therefore, if you would like to know how you would be able to do that, continue reading below.
What do you need to know about battery reconditioning?
First things first, it would be a good idea to get the basics out of the way. Simply put, we would like our readers to know the exact or proper definition of battery reconditioning. This is because a car battery would lose its capability almost immediately after its date of manufacture. Even though placing them in the fridge would be able to extend its shelf life by a small amount, it would not really be worth it. As for rechargeable batteries, they would start to lose their effectiveness after the first time you have charged them.
The reason why this starts to happen is that sulfur crystals would begin to accumulate on the battery plates. This would then cause the battery to lose its ability to hold a charge. So, every time a battery would be recharged and discharged, it would continue losing its power. Over time, they would then become useless to you. So, the most common approach which would be adopted by the majority of people is that they would throw them out and then go and purchase a new battery. Since they tend to be priced at a crazy range, you know that you would have to shell out a lot of money to buy a new battery.
So, rather than throwing out the batteries, you would be able to go for the option of battery reconditioning. By doing this, you would be able to expand its lifespan and also bring it back to almost a new condition. In terms of the savings that you would be able to gain, it would be worth thinking about.
How do you recondition old batteries?
So, when you would be reconditioning your old batteries, you would be causing the sulfate crystals to dissolve away. In addition, they would also become clean and re-energized and improve the strength of the electrolytes. Hence, you would be able to place a full charge on the battery and use it a couple more times.
The best part is that you would be able to use this process in the case of your car battery as well. Since you would be doing preventive maintenance on your battery pack, it would tend to have a longer lifespan. This is because, over the course of time, the life of the battery would go down.
By reconditioning these batteries, you would be able to make them work longer as they would develop a memory effect. In addition, in order to know how to recondition batteries at home, you would also need to know the capacity of charge of the battery. Once you would be able to determine that accurately, you would know the extent to which improvement would be required. This is because if you would not have an accurate measurement of the charge capacity, you would not have an idea about the extent of improvement that you would need to make.
Why it’s important to learn
If you are thinking why this would be a useful skill to learn, take a look at some of the benefits which have been listed below:
- With an increased supply and demand for batteries, both in the personal and professional front, this would be a skill that would never go to waste. In addition to making our planet more habitable, your precious money would also not go to waste. Also, if you would be worried about your safety, there is nothing to be worried about. This is because if the technique would be learned properly, then you would be able to get the work done with absolute ease.
- You would be able to get your dead or old batteries for free. Since you would be preparing these batteries for a new life, you would be able to help them ease the passage.
- There is absolutely no doubt that batteries seem to cost a fortune. So by learning how to recondition old batteries, you would be able to save yourself a hefty sum.
All that being said, if you would like to adopt a green approach and save the environment, then this would seem like a good opportunity. Not only would you be able to learn a highly useful skill, but you would also be able to earn a bit of extra cash on the side.
How to recondition batteries at home
Before we would continue, it would be important to highlight the distinction between recharging and reconditioning. Simply put, reconditioning a battery would mean that you would be restoring the battery back to its full capacity. In other words, it would be as good as new. On the other hand, recharging a battery would simply mean that you would be putting it in charge for a certain period of time.
In terms of how to recondition old batteries, it would largely depend on the kind of battery you would be dealing with. In addition, proper knowledge about chemicals and its proper handling would be necessary to conduct reconditioning of batteries in a safe manner.
Types of batteries that you can recondition
Be it your laptop battery, cell phone battery, or car battery – you would be able to recondition all of these if you would only know what you would be doing. On the other hand, it would also be recommended that you take out a bit of time to familiarize yourself with the different kinds of batteries that seem to be available in the market.
In this, you would be able to attain the kind of information that would be required when the time of reconditioning would come around. Not only that, but it would also provide you insight on the best way that you would be able to handle them so that it would be able to last longer.
If you are thinking about reconditioning your car batteries, there is a very high possibility that you would be able to do that. The bad news would be that you would have to deal and handle some corrosive components. All of this would require great care if you would like to avoid inflicting any sort of damage or harm upon yourself.
In terms of the things that would be required, the list is as follows:
- Distilled water
- A voltmeter
- A battery reconditioning charger
What’s A Battery Reconditioning Charger?
For a detailed explanation of what a battery reconditioning charger is, check out this article.
How to recondition a car battery
One of the first things that you would need is to test to see if the battery is likely to respond to your efforts of reconditioning. This is because no matter how much you would like to fix a battery, reconditioned car batteries can be notoriously difficult for a beginner.
First use a voltmeter, you would be able to see if the battery would read anywhere between ten to twelve volts. If it would be within this range, then restoration would likely be successful.
- Next remove the car battery from your car and place it in a safe spot. After that, you should remove the rubber which would be protecting the caps in order to allow access to them. Some of the batteries would have six or seven caps so it’s important that you remove all of them. On the other hand, if your battery is sealed, then you would need to drill through the shadow plugs that tend to cover all the battery cell openings.
- Heat up half a quart of distilled water to around 150 degrees F. Once that has been heated, you need to dissolve around 7 or 8 oz. Of Epsom salts into the water.
- Next, you would need to get a syringe or plastic funnel that you would use to pour the Epsom salt solution into the battery cells. Before you do that, you would need to make sure that the battery would be drained of any fluid. Once that has been done, you should fill each cell with your Epsom solution by using the syringe or plastic funnel.
- Once you have managed to get all that out of the way, you would need to replace the battery caps. Once you have made sure that they have all been fitted tightly, you should shake the battery pack. This should be done to make sure that the Epsom salts solution would be distributed properly and evenly.
- The next step in battery reconditioning would be to plug in your battery to the charger and then set it to high amps. You should give it a few minutes before switching over to low current so that the battery would be able to charge fully.
- Once your battery would be fully charged, you should discharge it and then charge it again. This time you should put it on low current. With the help of this process, the magnesium sulfate would mix with the lead sulfate. You should give it ample time to charge. Once that has been done, you would find your battery to be as good as new.
What About Battery Acid?
It is not recommended that you mess around with this, but check out this article if you want to know how to make battery acid.
Ez Battery Reconditioning
Check out the EZ Battery Reconditioning PDF Download to get more info on the easy to use course.
Hybrid battery reconditioning
If you are the proud owner of a hybrid car, you know that you have placed your money in the right place. even though the time when you bought it was not that feasible, you can see that hybrid car seem to be picking up in popularity now. Hence, you would also have to make sure that the battery would remain up to date so that it would last you a long time to come. However, you would soon be able to see that that would not be the case. After some time, just like all other things, the battery pack would start to wear out. In that case, you would have to go for hybrid battery reconditioning.
The thing about reconditioning hybrid batteries is that you would find the process to be slightly different than the normal lead batteries. This would be due to their construction or makeup. Even then, you would be able to find out that this is something which you would easily be able to do at home, thanks to a couple of basic materials. Hence, you would not have to take the additional hassle of running around looking for a mechanic who would be able to get the job done for you. Not only that, but you would also have to keep in mind that they would charge you a fair bit.
Overview of how to recondition hybrid batteries
First things first, you would have to know that hybrid batteries would seem to consist of two elements. These would be – a balancing or charging the battery pack, and a deep discharging battery pack. In the case of battery reconditioning, it would involve combining the charging battery pack with the deep discharging battery pack several times over. Thanks to this process, the voltage depressions or crystal formations would break down within the battery cells, thus equalizing the cell voltage levels to each other and restoring the lost battery which could be put to use. The end result that you would get is a battery with much more usable capacity that your vehicle would be able to take advantage of.
The step by step process
Even though it would not be required, it would be recommended that you disconnect the 12 AUX battery. This should be done to make sure that it would not be accidentally discharged by the interior lights while the reconditioning process would be underway.
Now, we would get down to explaining to you the step by step process of reconditioning the hybrid battery of your vehicle. As you would be reading down the list, you would be able to understand that this would be something that you would easily be able to do. So, without further ado, let us get right on to it.
- Firstly, you would have to charge the battery until the voltage would stop rising. Even though a full balancing would be recommended, it would also be okay if you would not do it at this step
- You should discharge the battery to at least 0.8V/cell. If you would like to know more about pack level voltage termination points, it would be a good idea to refer to a table. In this way, you would be assured of the fact that you would not be making any sort of mistake and thus jeopardize the entire reconditioning process
- You would then charge the battery again until the voltage would stop rising
- Discharge the battery to 0.5V/cell
- Again you would have to charge the battery until the voltage would stop rising
- Discharge the battery to 0.1V/cell
- For one last time, you would have to charge and balance the battery pack. You should let the charger run for at least six to eight hours after the voltage would stop rising. This should be done to make sure that the battery pack would be fully balanced
- You should then disconnect the charger and allow the battery pack to rest for at least thirty minutes. However, one hour would be recommended if you would have the time at hand. This should be done before you would attempt to start the vehicle
Hence, the steps which have been outlined above would constitute only one battery reconditioning treatment. However, if you would be short on time, then you could perform two discharge cycles instead of three.